Wellington County Timeline

Timeline

2017
October 14

1999

Amalgamations: Townships of Guelph, Eramosa and part of Pilkington and Nichol amalgamated to form Township of Guelph/Eramosa. The Town of Fergus, Village of Elora and the Townships of Nichol, Pilkington, West Garafraxa and a portion of Eramosa form The Township of Centre Wellington.
October 14

1991

Arthur Land Registry Office closed. Records were combined with those of the Guelph Land Registry Office.
October 14

1980

Province of Ontario Land Registration and Information System (POLARIS) introduced.
October 14

1955

Copybooks discontinued.
October 14

1938

Garafraxa Township records had been transferred from the Guelph Land Registry Office to the Arthur Land Registry Office.
October 14

1887

Custody of Title Deeds Act and the filing of ‘Deposits’.
October 14

1883

East Luther Township was transferred to Dufferin County.
October 14

1881

Dufferin County was created and East Garafraxa, Amaranth Townships were transferred from Wellington County .
October 14

1871

Arthur Land Registry Office opened.
October 14

1866

General registers were created for unprobated wills and other legal documents such as powers of attorney and bankruptcy assignments.
October 14

1865

Abstract index was created. Full text of deed was placed on deposit and the full text written in the township copybook. [Note, the Abstract Indexes for townships were backdated to include all activity that had occurred since the granting of the Patent.]
October 14

1854

On 1 January the County of Wellington was officially established.
October 14

1853

Grey County separated ( Owen Sound was County seat) from Wellington County and Minto Township surveyed by Charles Rankin and George W. Gibson.
October 14

1852

Wellington District was renamed the United Counties of Wellington, Waterloo and Grey.
October 14

1851

Registration of land documents became mandatory.
October 14

1849

Survey of Maryborough Township by Patrick O’Callaghan.
October 14

1847

Each Township was required to have a separate copybook.
October 14

1840

Guelph Land Registry Office registered its first deed. [Prior to this either the Waterloo or Halton Offices handled the records]
October 14

1838

Wellington District was separated from Gore District.
October 14

1835

Survey of Arthur Township by John McDonald.
October 14

1834

Survey of Peel Township by R. W. Kerr.
October 14

1833

Settlement of Fergus established.
October 14

1832

First map of Elora village completed and first house built.
October 14

1831

New survey of Puslinch Township completing the west part (Concessions 1 through 6) and a revised survey of Arkell area.
October 14

1828

Old Survey of Puslinch Township by David Gibson (Concessions 7 to 10 along the Nassagaweya Township line). This enabled creation of a new road, and more direct route to Dundas . Prior to this, travellers would first go to Galt and then back to Guelph/Puslinch area.
English EN French FR