If your family history search takes you into the Townships of Amaranth, Luther or East Garafraxa, note that these townships were transferred to be part of Dufferin County beginning in 1876 and formalized in 1881. Searching both the Wellington and Dufferin County collections is highly recommended. The Museum of Dufferin (formerly the Dufferin County Museum and Archives) has an online database, which holds much of their transcribed newspaper collection listed below, as well as person searches, military records, church records, properties, places, genealogical resources and much more.
Newspaper Archives Available
- Orangeville Sun (1861-1933)
- Orangeville Banner (1906-present)
- Shelburne Free Press (1874-1928 and 2014-2017)
- Orangeville Economist (1883-1928)
- Shelburne Free Press and Economist (1928-2013: the two papers merged in 1928 but then the “Economist” was dropped in 2014)
- Orangeville Citizen (1916 – 2017)
- Grand Valley Star (sporadic articles from 1899, 1900 and 1944)
- Grand Valley Vidette (sporadic articles from 1899, 1900 and 1901)
- Grand Valley Star & Vidette (1900-1908, 1911, 1916-1996: the two papers merged in 1901)
- Orangeville Advertiser (only two editions – 3 May 1878 and 5 Apr 1877)
- Dundalk Herald (sporadic issues 1904-2017)
- Dufferin Advertiser (10 May 1888, 22 Dec 1892, 9 Jul 1896)
- Dufferin Post (sporadic issues between 1895 and 1924)
- Dufferin Times (5 Aug 1937)
More Information on DCMA
Be sure to check out the Museum of Dufferin for more information on this resource including hours and location.
For Dufferin genealogy, visit here.