Welcome to the Wellington County Branch of Ontario Ancestors (The Ontario Genealogical Society). We are an active branch, with the goal of promoting family history and helping family historians. Although our focus is Wellington County and the City of Guelph, we have many members who are researching ancestors from around the world.
Join our monthly meetings:
- On the fourth Tuesday of the month (except for January, July, August and December).
- As we continue to adhere to COVID-19 restrictions, our monthly meetings have moved to a virtual format using ZOOM, normally starting at 7:00 p.m. You will need to register in advance for each meeting. The registration information along with the presentation topic, speaker’s name and start time will be posted on our Facebook group page, in our monthly WHAT’S NEW bulletin and in our newsletter, Traces & Tracks. Don’t worry if you have never used ZOOM before. Once registered, you will be prompted to download the free software and will receive a confirmation email containing instructions about joining the meeting.
- When we are able to return to in-person sessions, our meetings will start at 6:45 pm with time to share experiences and expertise with fellow members; updates and announcements begin at 7:15 pm followed by a speaker or activity. Meetings end by 9:00 pm. Traditionally, our in-person meetings are held either at the Wellington County Museum and Archives (0536 Wellington County Road 18, Fergus, ON) or a location in Guelph, ON. Confirmation of meeting locations will be sent with in-person meeting details once COVID restrictions have been lifted.
- If you are unable to attend, read a summary of the meeting in our branch newsletter or view the recording in the Member’s Corner of our website.
Explore our branch website (wellington.ogs.on.ca)
- For information on getting started in researching your family history, Wellington County resources and history, branch information, next meeting and upcoming events.
- Log-in to our website at the bottom left-hand corner of the home page using your Ontario Ancestors’ username and password.
- To access the secure Members Only section where you will find the current and several past editions of Traces & Tracks along with thousands of birth, marriage and death notices from area newspapers. Information regarding Branch Council positions and Council minutes are also available through this portal. Recordings of our past virtual meetings can also be found here.
- Add the surnames that you are researching to our Surname Research Index by logging into the Member’s Corner and completing the Surname Research Form. You may find that there are other branch members researching the same surnames…and you may find some cousins!
- Wondering about DNA and genetic genealogy? Watch Terry Maurice’s Introduction to Basic Genetic Genealogy workshop included in the Member’s Corner of the website.
Our Branch newsletter, Traces & Tracks:
- Is published quarterly and distributed through email.
- Features articles of interest to genealogists, information about Wellington County and Guelph, family stories and details of branch events.
- Contact the Newsletter Editor at [email protected] to submit a query, an article for publication, or to suggest a topic.
Our Branch bulletin, WHAT’S NEW:
- Is published monthly and distributed through email.
- Includes meeting information and ZOOM registration details.
- Also includes important branch notices.
Stay up-to-date through our Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/wellingtoncountybranchogs)
- Although a Facebook account is not required to read the information and notices that are posted, one is necessary to discuss genealogical topics, ask questions or answer them.
- Include Wellington County Directories and Gazetteers, Indexes to Births, Marriages and Deaths from local newspapers, indexes of out-of-print books and cemetery transcriptions.
- Researching Family History in Wellington County and Guelph, Ontario, 2nd edition was released last year. Copies in a digital format are available through Ontario Ancestors Marketplace at https://ogs.on.ca/shop/ and print copies are available by emailing [email protected].
- A complete publication listing with ordering information is available on the branch website.
Our Branch Family History Collection:
- Is housed at the Guelph Public Library (GPL), 100 Norfolk Street, Guelph and includes resources related to Wellington County, adjacent counties, other areas of Ontario and the Canadian provinces as well as the United States, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Australia, Germany, Poland and Italy.
- Search the library catalogue at https://www.guelphpl.ca/en/index.aspx using the search term “Ontario Genealogical Society”. The result will be a complete listing of over 1,000 branch resources that are available at the library.
- The Guelph Public Library (main branch) has become a FamilySearch Affiliate Library. This allows patrons access to approximately 400 million digital records that are not normally available outside of the Church of Latter-day Saints Family History Centres. Access is only available through the library computer(s). If you are unable to visit the Guelph location, let us know if there is something that you would like our research team to check for you by emailing [email protected].
Attend one of the Branch Family History Workshops
- The branch holds a number of workshops throughout the year. We are working to bring more of these workshops online. Watch for notices in Traces & Tracks, WHAT’S NEW and check out upcoming events on our website for information.
Thank you for joining (or rejoining) the Wellington County Branch of Ontario Ancestors. I hope that you will find your involvement with the branch both enjoyable and rewarding. I would also like to invite you to share any ideas or suggestions to further improve our branch or your membership experience with me or other members of our Branch Council. Wherever you live, wherever you research, we wish you all the best in your research.
Wellington County Branch Membership Coordinator ([email protected])
On behalf of the Wellington County Branch Council
By becoming a member of the Wellington County Branch, OGS, you consent to receive informational e-mails regarding Branch events and programs. In accordance with Canada privacy legislation (Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation), we will not pass this information to anyone, unless we ask you first. We respect your privacy.